Leakage of water from the valve body is usually an indication that the wedge, disc, or seat ring needs replacing. For most valves, the procedure for doing this may be summarized as follows:
1. Open the valve.
2. Remove the bonnet and other components of the upper valve assembly.
3. Run the stem down by turning it in a clockwise direction.
4. Remove the wedge or disc from the stem and replace if necessary.
5. Remove the seat ring with a seat ring wrench and replace if necessary.
6. Reassemble in reverse order.
The disc, disc assembly, and ball are all possible sources of seat leakage in check valves. Access to these components is gained by removing the valve cap (counterclockwise), side plugs, and pins. Reassembly is in reverse order.